2016-17 Canvas Thumbs Up Recipient:
Part-Time Faculty, English (ENGL)
[Also a 2015-16 “Canvas Artist” Winner]
Student Nomination Comments About What They Found Beneficial :
- “Mindy always put grades in on time and she commented and helped a ton. I really appreciated the extra effort and help she put in because I understand she has many students and it can be a lot to do. I really appreciated all she did for me and everyone else. her use of Canvas really helped me grow as a student.”
- “Everything was graded and posted in a timely fashion.”
Specific identified “best practices” of Canvas use that you do:
“Discussion board used for visual media analysis of advertisements. Students uploaded ads and then analyzed each others’ ads for rhetorical strategies employed.”
- Frequent/Prompt grade entry
- Extensive use of comments/ feedback capabilities on assignments
- Timely Use of Inbox to communicate/ Respond
- Timely Use of Announcements to Update/communicate with Students
- Use of Discussions to respond to student posts/ Update/Communicate
- Posting of all class material/, files etc.
- Use of Assignment Due Dates and detailed, clear directions
- Structured Student-student discussion forum responses
- Made available supplemental links/ files etc.
- Sending reminders via course homepage/Inbox etc.
“Along with getting grades posted as soon as possible, I try to always include comments on Canvas when I post grades. I give constructive feedback and always try to find something positive. I have found this to work well with my students.”